Roof work is no easy task. Temperatures, weather conditions, and height all work together to make fixing or replacing a roof a dangerous, difficult job. If you’re considering replacing or repairing your roof, fall is typically the best time to hire professionals for roof installation or repair services.
If you’re considering replacing or repairing your roof, it’s best to wait for the autumn season for the following reasons:
- End of the stormy season. Severe weather events that damage roofs are far more likely during the spring and summer. Fall is the ideal time to assess any damage that may have occurred during the stormy months and determine what roofing services are necessary. Drier weather during the autumn months makes them ideal for roof work, as rain can cause delays in roofing work and impact its quality.
- Conditions are perfect. Experts agree that roofing is best installed when the temperature is between 45 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. This is particularly true if your roofers are installing asphalt shingles, the most commonly used type of roofing material. Temperate temperatures help facilitate better thermal sealing of asphalt shingles, ensuring that they firmly adhere to the roof. Also, cooler fall temperatures make work more comfortable for the professionals installing or repairing your roof.
- Cold winter temperatures make shingles more difficult to work with. When temperatures are cold, shingles tend to become brittle and more likely to break when roofers are nailing them to the roof. They often have to put aside their roofing guns and hand nail shingles, causing delays and higher costs.
- Proper sealing. By getting the work done in autumn, new shingles have enough time to adequately bond to the roof before wet winter weather arrives. This helps them better insulate your home from cold temperatures and moisture.
- Storm season may start back up in winter. Winter storms can exacerbate existing damage to a roof, causing holes to get larger or leaks to worsen. If you live in an area prone to snow, the weight of snowfall on an already-compromised roof can cause expensive damage.
- Save on heating. By reroofing in the autumn, you’ll be able to reap the benefit of a better-insulated home in the cold winter months. A new roof can help reduce heating bills, helping to offset a small part of the cost of renovations or repairs.
While some homeowners may think that waiting for the winter or spring will result in lower prices and greater availability, that may not be true, as many roofers switch to other work during those months or take vacations.
Article from https://pfisterroofing.com/six-reasons-fall-season-roof-repair/